Thursday, June 28, 2007

STFU ALREADY!

“It didn’t help me on the set that I was a black man who wasn’t a mush-mouth Negro walking around with his head in his hands all the time. I didn’t speak like I’d just left the plantation and that can be a problem for people sometimes. I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that ’some people’ were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I’m a 6-foot-1, black man with dark skin and who doesn’t go around saying ‘Yessah, massa sir’ and ‘No sir, massa’ to everyone? It’s nuts when your presence alone can just scare people, and that made me a prime candidate to take the heat in a dysfunctional family.’’

Isaiah Washington tells Newsweek that he thiks race did play a role in his firing despite the fact that Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes is one of a handful of black producers in TV.

No comments: